Sunday, March 14, 2010

03.12.10


Bird on the Wire..., originally uploaded by colemama.

The classic Leonard Cohen song, Bird on the Wire, always runs through my mind when I see such a scene. The lyrics appear to be somewhat contradictory and conflicting...with an emphasis on restricted freedom and unresolved emotions. Oftentimes, the words simply reflect diverse perceptions as in the song,

I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
he said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
she cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"

Despite the various interpretations, it is a soulful song for me, but definitely leaves with a note of hope - likely due as much to the bird's warble as much as the song itself. 4th Ave N & Gulf of Mexico, Naples, FL

1 comment:

  1. Nice angle - with the bird looking up and out. Maybe it's that longing to be untethered and free to fly.

    ReplyDelete