Monday, December 14, 2009

DEC142009


DEC142009, originally uploaded by colemama.

Countdown to Christmas and this poinsettia is helping me get in the spirit! It is such an appropriate plant for the holidays with its red and green colors. The mottled and solid hued leaves which double (actually masquerade) as the "flower petals" are unusually attractive. Did you know that the real flower is actually the tiny yellow clusters in the center of the bracts? And their longevity far outstays the holiday season as they can be planted for future years...in fact, I've seen some grow to exceed six feet.

Although synonymous with Christmas, I always think of Septima Poinsette Clark when I see these blooms - likely the resemblance of her name. Introduced to her in an adult education graduate course (and embarrassed that I'd not known her legacy), I immediately immersed myself in her history, publications and philosophical connections to education and literacy. What a joy it is to discover such a treasure! Naples, FL

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the link. I did not know about Septima. She was quite a lady.

    ReplyDelete