So on a day where our memories recount the unthinkable loss of 9/11, I reflect on the core values that impact the reason for living, the basis for my career, and the guiding forces for day-to-day decisions. A rarity to take the time to dig deep - and though, I will, it won't necessarily be truly expressed in my words - nor my image - but it will be imprinted and shared to some degree. My core values:
- Lifelong learning (yes, a cliche, but I'm still a believer) creates positive change and with change, there is growth (despite the challenges). Without change/growth, we stagnate and eventually wither away.
- Connections - not just the relationships one counts with regards to family, friends and acquaintances, but connections with
- people (virtual and face-to-face, including those spontaneous ones that etch an emotion in our hearts),
- nature/environment (a true spiritual one that underscores the cycle of life and the respectful interdependency required for survival)
- content/ideas/art (for lack of better words - being inspired by connected concepts that propel one's thinking)
- history (our culture and heritage, our past and our learnings from the past)
- ourselves (yes!)
- Authenticity - I am guilty of using silence to avoid genuine interaction (often confused with my introversion) but I strive to create honest situations that are devoid of "niceties" for the sake of being nice. There is a certain amount of conflict for me here as I want to acknowledge those who need the external feedback, but I want to do so with integrity and that is sometimes difficult.
|Creative Commons licensed photo credit to colemama on Flickr|
Why is innovation so crucial in education? How will it impact our students and ourselves long term?
Innovation is change and it is crucial in ALL phases of life - a fundamental ingredient to describe 'living'! Without it, are we really living? It is not only essential for short term, but for long range as the change process is cyclical - how do we learn from it? And, just as important (maybe more so), is the institution of education itself in need of innovation - perhaps, the act of learning is a better focus and yet, innovation, education, learning, students and my core values are all intertwined.