Sunday, December 8, 2013

12.08.13

12.08.13 by colemama
12.08.13, a photo by colemama on Flickr.

Flickr has been one of my favorite sites since I first discovered it in 2006. As a very amateur photographer, I was reticent to post and share my photographs. The beauty of the site and the welcoming communities made Flickr a natural for me to move into participating in nearly six years of 365 projects, developing similar projects with my students, meeting people all over the world who have become close Flickr buddies, and developing an awareness/appreciation of visual literacy for thousands through the use of Creative Commons licensing.

Flickr has made changes over the years and some were certainly welcome. The most recent changes, however, have been problematic for me. I have watched as some of my Flickr buddies leave Flickr altogether, while others have split their photos, time and energy among various sites making it difficult to stay connected. I fear Flickr's current direction for change may significantly impact the reason for many Flickr communities to stay viable. Thus, my day of protest. Thanks to muffet68 for bringing to my attention. There's also a petition to sign here!

No comments:

Post a Comment